Get Automatic SSL Renewals for Free
Currently, the only way to transition from a custom SSL certificate to a free SSL certificate is to first delete the custom one, then install the free certificate.
Before Adding the Free SSL Certificate
In order to successfully add a free certificate to MODX Cloud, you should review DNS records for the domains for the cloud to make sure they do not have any AAAA (IPv6) records. If they do, please remove them all or the certificate issuance will fail in MODX Cloud.
Typically AAAA records are set up at your registrar or DNS provider and are pointed to other hosts. Free SSL issuers prioritize AAAA records above IPv4 and will assume that the domains do not resolve to this server.
Replacing SSL Certificates with Free SSL
You should expect a few minutes of your site not being served via HTTPS during this time, so you may want to schedule it for a period of low traffic. If this is not acceptable, you’ll need to renew and update your current SSL certificate:
- Click the button to delete the current SSL certificate
- Refresh your browser window after a few seconds until it shows the option to install Free SSL
- Click the “Install a Free SSL Certificate” button
- If you see a notice about domains or subdomains not covered by the certificate (see limitations), you can acknowledge to proceed or exit to correct any issues.
- Click the “Install” button, and wait about one minute for the process to complete.
Enjoy never having to worry about renewing your SSL certificates again.