Experimenting out of the public view for testing new extras or determining how well your site will function after it is upgraded is a great reason to use Snapshots to create a duplicate or clone of your website.
In just a few steps you can have a new exact copy of your site for experimentation:
- Login to the MODX Cloud Dashboard
- From the list of Clouds on the Clouds page, locate the Cloud you wish to create a staging site for
- Click on the name of the Cloud in order to go to the Cloud edit page.
- On the Cloud edit page, click Create Snapshot from the right hand side of the page
- In the window that pops up, Select the Complete Snapshot template, choose a category, then, give the Snapshot a good descriptive name, and click Extract Snapshot from Cloud
- Once the Snapshot has been created, you'll receive an email notification
- Upon notification, go to the Snapshots page by clicking Snapshots at the top of the Dashboard
- Find the Snapshot you named in step 5, and below the name, find and click the link, Create New Cloud from Snapshot
- You'll receive an email to let you know the new Cloud has been completed and you can now start using this Cloud for making changes.
It's a good idea to turn off search indexing for your duplicate site. This can be accomplished by going to the Web tab of the Cloud edit page and setting Allow Search Engine Indexing to "No."