Experimenting out of the public view for testing new extras or determining how well your site will function after it is upgraded is a great reason to use Snapshots to create a duplicate or clone of your website.
In just a few steps you can have a new exact copy of your site for experimentation:
- Login to the MODX Cloud Dashboard
- From the list of Clouds on the Clouds page, locate the Cloud you wish to create a staging site for
- Click on the name of the Cloud in order to go to the Cloud edit page.
- On the Cloud edit page, click Create Snapshot from the right hand side of the page
- In the window that pops up, Select the Complete Snapshot template, choose a category, then, give the Snapshot a good descriptive name, and click Extract Snapshot from Cloud
- Once the Snapshot has been created, you'll receive an email notification
- Upon notification, go to the Snapshots page by clicking Snapshots at the top of the Dashboard
- Find the Snapshot you named in step 5, and below the name, find and click the link, Create New Cloud from Snapshot
- You'll receive an email to let you know the new Cloud has been completed and you can now start using this Cloud for making changes.